This page was updated on: June 16, 2015

Applying For A Licence

Where can I get an application package?

Applications are available online, at the Yukon Water Board office in Whitehorse, and in the Dawson Mining Inspection Office (for placer undertakings).

Where to submit your application?

You can submit your application in paper at the Yukon Water Board office or digitally through our online registry, Waterline.  For information on submitting an application on Waterline please read this reference document or contact the Secretariat at 456-3980.

Can I get assistance with my application?

Licensing officers are available, by appointment, to meet with proponents to walk through the application process and individual applications. Our staff forms an experienced team, there to provide appropriate and integrated information, customized to the needs of the proponents. Staff at the front counter are available to provide proponents with friendly and timely assistance.

What do I fill out?

Section 5 of the Waters Regulation sets out the minimum information requirements. Plus the guidance documents for each undertaking describes which documents are required to complete the application process.

There may be additional information requirements specific to your project.


How much will it cost to apply?

The application fee for a water use licence and for the amendment, assignment or cancellation of a water use licence is $30. You will also be required to pay a deposit of the first year water use fees. All application fees, and/or pending invoices for water use fees, must be paid prior to any application moving into the Public Comment phase.

How much will it cost to have a water use licence?

Water use fees vary, depending on the quantity of water that is required.

Licensee's are billed annually in advance for the water-use fees.

The fee is calculated according to Section 8 of the Waters Regulation. You can contact our office for more information.

Are there any additional Costs?

If you are also applying for a Placer Class 4 Mining Land Use Operating Plan Approval (“MLU”), then there will be additional fees:

New/Renewal 1-5 yrs $250
New/Renewal over 5-10 yrs $500
Amendment   $150
Assignment   $ 50

What if I do not use the water?

Water use fees are charged for the right to use water. If you do not exercise that right, the fees are still payable.